A day of talks with a common theme - Victorian Newbury. Until recently Victoria was England’s longest ruling monarch and her reign saw great changes nationally and locally.
The Newbury District Field Club’s sixth annual History Day consists of talks on local history by local experts on various aspects of Newbury’s past. In a mix of general and specialized talks, our speakers will take us back to the 19th Century market town that grew into the Newbury we know today.
PROGRAMME TO INCLUDE:
· Early Victorian Newbury: Phil Wood (President NDFC)
· Improving the Mind: Clubs & Societies: Jane Burrell (former curator, West Berkshire Museum)
· The Falkland Memorial: Dave Stubbs (Town Sergeant)
· Plenty’s of Newbury: Ellie Thorne (archivist at Berkshire Record Office)
· Newbury Borough Police Force: Dick Godfrey (author Newbury Borough Police)
· Late Victorian Newbury: David Peacock (author The Story of Newbury)