This year's project is now underway. To find out how your school can get involved next year please contact our Education Coordinator Tabitha Kahney-Smith
This project is suitable for Year 4, Year 5 and Year 6
We’re celebrating 100 years since Roald Dahl’s birth, with a project that explores the writer’s stories, language and characters with practical workshops and follow-on classroom activities with a literary focus. The project will culminate with a celebratory final performance on the main stage at The Corn Exchange.
What do the students get?
- 12 hours contact time with a theatre practitioner practically exploring Roald Dahl’s text
- A session of direction to assist with putting together their performance
- A stage adaptation of a Roald Dahl classic, adapted to the classes’ specific needs and requirements
- 6 follow on classroom activities with a literacy focus
- A performance at The Corn Exchange with professional technical support
- A professional photographer at the final performance
What does the teacher get?
- An Education pack with copies of all the workshops and 6 follow on classroom activities
- 3 hours CPD exploring approaches to creating performance with young people and using drama in the classroom
- Support with casting, rehearsing and sourcing props and costumes on a budget.
- 12 + hours non – teaching time
- An opportunity to engage families with their children’s learning
- A project designed to assist in meeting literacy targets
What is covered in the sessions?
Your class will look in-depth at one Roald Dahl text in order to develop their Literacy skills (either Matilda or Fantastic Mr Fox).
Using this text as a starting point, each 2 hour session will then cover:
- Introduction to the Text
- What makes a story? (Story Structure)
- Language Techniques 1: Alliteration and Exaggerated Language
- Language Techniques 2: Descriptive Language
- Performance Preparation
Feedback and responses from last year’s project
The Castle School
'Thank you for absolutely everything you have done with our students. Thank you for your energy, enthusiasm and for making the kids believe that they can achieve such things.
Last night's performance will have meant more to those kids and their parents than you can ever imagine. One parent said that at mainstream school her son was shoved to the back and told not to say anything. She said she had no idea that he had lines last night and no idea that he would be able to deliver them so well. The feedback received was wonderful. A random lady stopped us in the carpark to say the same and to tell us that they were spot on with all their cues.'
Out of the schools that got involved last year, here are the most used words to describe the project:
Dates and Deadlines
- The final deadline for booking a place for your school on the Roald Dahl Literacy Project is Monday 20th February 2017. For further information on our future projects, please contact our Education Coordinator Tabitha.
- The workshops will take place between March 2017 and June 2017
- Teachers CPD Day - Tuesday 28th February 2017 9:30am – 1:30pm
- Final performance – 14th June 2017
To book your class onto the project please contact our Education Coordinator, Tabitha Kahney-Smith (01635 582666), who is also happy to answer any questions you might have.
Places are limited so please register your interest as soon as possible.